“I would highly appreciate very much if you would at least acknowledge any materials used or at least ask for a permission first. Unless specified, all other materials are from the private collection of the blog owner. Thank you very much!”

Saturday, September 18, 2010

RARE FIND: "THE URIAN ANTHOLOGY 1970-1979" BOOK

I have been searching for this book for so long and I’m glad I finally found it. The URIAN Anthology 1970-1979, edited and introduced by Nicanor Tiongson, was launched and released in 1983 with Manuel Morato as the publisher. Featured are selected essays and innovation of the 1970s by the Manunuri ng Pelikulang Pilipino, with about 550 photos and illustrations and a filmography of Philippine movies, from 1970-1979.

I bought the book in one of the antique shops in Quezon City. I just asked the shop owner in passing if he was selling any books on Philippine movies. He showed me a couple of art books, history books, old magazines and Urian. “How much?” I asked him of the Urian book. “P1, 500,” he said. I readily paid for it after some haggling to lower the price. Not bad for a rare find. Except for some creases, the book is in fine condition with no tear or missing pages. A delight for film lovers like us owning a copy, considered by many as ‘endangered specie’ because of its rarity.



The Urian Anthology 1970-1979
















8 comments:

Domeng Zu said...

Oh My God!!!! Sir saan mo ito nakita? The last time na nabasa ko ito ay sa Kalookan City Public Library sa may 10th ave Kalookan nuong 1986 pa. At araw-araw ko siyang pinupuntahan dun sa Filipiniana section. Nagsara ang library nung 1992 I think. Nangulila na ako sa librong ito. Congratulations sa nakita ninyong librong ito, pero sana may himala at makakita pa rin kami nito.

totoybato said...

I requested for this book from the newly built library when I was at DLSU in 1985. You can not check out any Filipiniana book.Flipping through the pages, I was amazed to see "TOTOY BATO"-Urian and FPJ don't go together. I was so proud that an FPJ movie poster (although just in B&W)is printed in glossy paper and in a book. I requested for it again much later in 1995, this time from the UP Library. Congratulations, Mr. Simon!

Video 48 said...

Salamat!

ken said...

hi! your website is so informative about filipino cinema, especially for non-filipinos like me. can you tell what were deemed the 10 greatest films by the mpp for this decade.

i have a copy of the urian anthology for dekada 80-89, and i know the ten are: manila by night, himala, kisapmata, oro plata mata, karnal, batch 81, sister stella l, bayan ko kapit sa patalim, orapronobis, hinugot sa langit.

i would therefore like to the ones from the 70s. thank you!

Insiang said...

some people are truly lucky and you're one of them. i've been looking for this book for years but can't find any. should you know of anyone who wants to sell his copy, please post it here so that i may have a chance to bid. thanks and more power!

Arman Magbanua said...

University and commercial publishers of today should think of reprinting it. It is a gem not only of local filmdom but of history.

Unknown said...

Meron po ako nito pero pinag-iisipan ko din po ibenta. Maybe this is my collection sarap basahin

Unknown said...

Wow! Some of the pages wala ako. 45,46, 87-90, 183-188. I am planning kasi na gumawa ng page sa facbook tapos ipopost ko doon pero kulang ng mga pages. It's very rare to find.
God bless you.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin